Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Renunciation in Serbia

Embed from Getty Images

March 25, 1909

 Crown Prince George of Serbia has sent his renunciation to the throne to the premier, according to a report in today's Chicago Tribune. The renunciation has come after a "campaign of comment which has been carried on in the press against the excesses which the young prince has carried out." 

The climax came after the prince was "practically accused of having slain one of the palace servants." The Serbian premier has sent the letter to King Peter, upon "the advice of Parliament," as he does not have the legal right in accepting any message of such grave import from the hands of the prince." 

There are further complications because Peter's second son, Prince Alexander, has declined the succession and has declared "that neither his father nor the parliament has the right or power to force him into the place." Public opinion, however, favors Prince Alexander over his older brother, as he is "intelligent, and would be a much more acceptable heir to the throne." 

Prince George's wild career and contempt of law have scandalized the country." Prince George sent his letter to the Premier, without consulting his father, King Peter. The Prince's letter states: "Drive-by unjustified insinuations, based on an unfortunate occurrence, I beg in defense of my honor, as well as my conscience, to declare that I renounce all claims to the throne as well as any other privileges to which I am entitled. I beg you to take the necessary steps that this action may receive a sanction. I place at my services as a soldier and a citizen at the disposal of the king and fatherland. I am ready to give my life for them." 
The "unfortunate occurrence" is the death of a man named Kolakovits, who was one of George's servants.

No comments: